Correct File Permissions for WordPress WebsiteWPThemes
There are 3 groups, self, group and public and three permissions you can give them: read, write and execute. Here’s what they mean:
• Self: That’s you. When you access your site with username and password, you’re connected as the user.
• Group: That’s you, too. And maybe others. If your site can be accessed with more than one username and password set, then those sets are also part of the group.
• Public: That’s everybody else. You want to be very careful about the permissions you give them.
• Read – the ability to read a file.
• Write – the ability to modify a file.
• Execute – the ability to execute a file.